Appointing a Representative
According to Medicare guidelines, an appointed representative is a person who can act on your behalf to request an exception, appeal or grievance. This person can be a relative, friend, advocate, doctor, or anyone else whom you trust to act on your behalf. If you want to appoint someone to act for you, then both you and that person must sign and date a statement that gives the person legal permission to act as your appointed representative. Physicians and other prescribers who are providing your treatment may, upon providing notice to you, request for a pre-service redetermination on your behalf without completing an Appointment of Representative (AOR) form.
Send your statement to the following address:
Appeals and Grievances Dept.
P.O. Box 10344
Van Nuys, CA 91410-0344
You can use the form that is attached at the bottom of this page or you can make your own statement (an equivalent written notice) as long as it contains all the required information.
(In addition, we may also accept other forms of legal documentation)
The required information of an 'equivalent written notice' is one that:
- Includes the name, address, and telephone number of enrollee;
- Includes the enrollee's HICN [or Medicare Identifier (ID) Number];
- Includes the name, address, and telephone number of the individual being appointed;
- Contains a statement that the enrollee is authorizing the representative to act on his or her behalf for the claim(s) at issue, and a statement authorizing disclosure of individually identifying information to the representative;
- Is signed and dated by the enrollee making the appointment; and
- Is signed and dated by the individual being appointed as representative, and is accompanied by a statement that the individual accepts the appointment
If you need assistance in naming your appointed representative, you can call us at one of the numbers listed below.
Health Net Customer Service
|February 15 - September 30 *
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
|October 1 - February 14 **
7 days a week, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
* February 15 - September 30, calls on Saturdays, Sundays, and Federal holidays, with the exception of President’s Day, will be handled by our automated phone system.
** October 1 - February 14, calls on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day will be handled by our automated phone system.
|Health Net Amber (HMO SNP):||1‑800‑431‑9007
|Health Net Seniority Plus Green (HMO):||1‑800‑275‑4737
|Health Net Jade (HMO SNP):||1‑800‑431‑9007
|Health Net Ruby Plans (HMO), Health Net Seniority Plus Sapphire (HMO),
Health Net Seniority Plus Complete (HMO) and Health Net Gold Select (HMO):
|Health Net Healthy Heart (HMO):||1‑800‑275‑4737
|Health Net Violet (PPO):||1‑800‑960‑4638
Calls received after hours will be handled by our automated phone system and a Health Net representative will call you back on the next business day.
Link to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
(CMS) Appointment of Representative Form CMS-1696
Information last updated 09-05-2014